Wednesday, 14 July 2010

Family



I rarely post pictures of my family; somehow it seems as though I'm giving too much away in such a public arena. However, I am so proud of my parents that I felt I should post a picture of them, taken on their 65th Wedding Anniversary, on 30th June.
Mum is 85 and Dad is 88. They met during the Second World War and married as soon as the war ended. Mum only found out a few years ago that the parachute silk Dad gave her to make a wedding dress was not a damaged one that couldn't be used, as he'd claimed, but rather a perfectly good one on which he smeared a tiny bit of oil so that it couldn't be used... He has carried on behaving in this manner all his life!


My brother and I took them to the Artillery Tower restaurant in Plymouth. It is a wonderful restaurant in a quirky place - a 500 year old artillery tower overlooking the sea. The food is amazing and we had a fabulous time. I had arranged for the telegram from the Queen and the flowercard to arrive in the morning and for champagne to be popped as we arrived. Everything went so smoothly and, in spite of both parents being in poor health, we had a fabulous time.




We have had a stormy relationship over the years, but I am still very proud of my parents, for what they've achieved and for the way they still get out and enjoy some of the finer things in life. Although they are becoming increasingly frail, they still want to visit places and travel. Which is why I've just spent several hours booking a city break in Paris for Mum and me for the week after I break up from school...

No comments: