Monday, 26 July 2010

Summer Holidays



I drove home from school on the last day of term in tears. Instead of looking forward to a well-earned rest after a difficult year at school, I was dreading the prospect of a five week break, with no 'me' time. Little E's father is only having her for 6 days this summer - he's not taking her on holiday with him when he, his wife and Little E's brother go to Wales for two weeks and he's not even planning to spend the odd weekend with her after this week. In fact, I discovered this morning that, although Little E is with him this week, he's working and she's been farmed out to one of his friends who has children the same age...

Anyway, I have been extremely stressed about the summer as I was very aware that I have been quite close to breaking point for a couple of weeks. It's not that I don't want to spend time with LE, it's just that I know I'm a better mum when I've had a break. Added to all this. my father instructed me to take my mum to Paris, while LE was with her dad; this meant that the few days I would have to recharge my batteries were whipped away from me and I have spent the past few weeks organising the trip, including the wheelchair assistance at the airports and everything else necessary for taking an 85 year old, deaf, partially sighted, infirm lady away on holiday.

So... the only evening I had for myself, for the entire summer, when I could spend time with my lovely man, was last night. We went down to Upottery, where the pub in which my little bro lives and works is, had a wondeful walk (down the lane in the picture above), stood on a river bridge watching the world (kingfishers and tractors) go by, had a lovely meal in the pub and then had a great time taking part in the quiz (which we won). The weather was glorious and for those few, brief hours I relaxed and felt like I was on holiday.

It was a long way to go for an evening, but it was worth it. I have just got back home and have been sorting out the final details for the trip to Paris, but I'm not feeling so negative about the summer. Sometimes you just have to seize the moment. When you do, life feels so good.

3 comments:

Selena Woodward said...

Just grab every moment. They'll all add up to a great summer - I'm sure of it!

Working Mum said...

Hmmm, a change of scenery and a little fresh air can make things seem less stressful - I was on the edge on Sunday night and then a day in the Lakes put it all in perspective.

Just take one day at a time this summer and try to think of your time with Little E as precious - she will remember the things you do together now when she is older.

Hope Paris isn't too stressful. Find a nice pavement cafe by the Seine and indulge in a coffee and a pastry.

Selena Woodward said...

This is a long, long, long , long summer you're having ;)