Tuesday, 14 April 2009

And suddenly all was quiet...

The house is quiet. No sounds of snoring, no loud TV, no arguing. Bliss.

Actually, this has been one of the better visits by the parents. Although Dad is clearly much deafer and much frailer and Mum is very low in confidence, we all had a good time. I took them out; they bickered a bit. I cooked; they ate. We went out for a meal at Simpsons (one michelin star and food from heaven); they paid. Dad slept every time he sat down so Mum and I sneaked in a few gins. It was good having them here, although strange without Little E.

And today they left (they arrived on Thursday). Peace at last.

However, I did lose my cool and decorum this morning. As soon as they'd left I realised that Mum had left her recharger in my bedroom. Knowing that they were stopping for petrol just down the road I grabbed my jacket (I was still in my pyjamas), pulled on my boots, grabbed my mobile and the recharger and raced out the house, intending to drive after them. However, as soon as I shut the front door I realised that I didn't have my keys - so I was locked out, in my pyjamas...

I phoned Mum but her mobile was switched off (who, but an 83 year old turns off their mobile???). I rang the doorbell of my neighbours, knowing that they were both at work. The milkman grinned at me - there was no disguising the fact that I was wearing pyjamas.

In the end I ran down the road to my neighbour's mum's house, borrowed her keys to my neighbour's house, left her and her neighbour screaming with laughter at the sight of me in pyjamas (cheek really since she was still in her dressing gown), raced back, called neighbour for whereabouts of my spare key, endured his amusement and finally let myself back in to my house. There was only one thing left to do - eat an Easter Egg. And giggle. Then eat more chocolate and enjoy the peace.

4 comments:

Catherine said...

Your post raised a smile or two! The embarrassment :) Hope you weren't too cold in your pj's!

Mochinbach said...

But did you get the charger back to your mum? ;p

Unknown said...

Cute story, I was laughing. Did you eat all the egg?

A Modern Mother

Mummy Cow said...

AM - not too cold, my blushes kept me warm

M - had to post it!

T - oh yes, I finished the lot and then had to resist the temptation to start on Little E's stash!