Saturday, 7 February 2009

That's when good neighbours become good friends...

What a bizarre week - the snow, the listening to commercial radio (instead of my beloved Radio 4) to see if school is closed, the disappointment of discovering Jen's school was open and, most importantly, the value of brilliant friends.

Being laid up all week with a slipped disc has been hard. The trouble with being a single parent is that there is no-one else to make the packed lunches, or to be the taxi driver, or make sure there is food on the table at mealtimes. It becomes even more difficult when you can't stand up straight. However, I have been blessed this week by good friends, good neighbours and an angelic daughter.

LE has had to do so much this week (including dressing me - and it's no fun for a 9 year old to have to put her mum's underwear on...). She has tidied up, picked up things I've dropped, even made her tea once. Most of the time she's done this without moaning - but who can blame her for the odd whinge?

T and M live next door. They are lovely people and we help each other out with mutual cat or dog sitting. T is a drummer and I've been to a couple of gigs to see him and his chums in OCS (see a previous post). This week, they have been amazing. LE has not missed out on the excitement of the snow, because T and M took her sledging twice. On the only day she was off school, T took her to Warley Woods to walk the dog and throw snowballs. I have had a visit or a text every day to see if I needed anything. Even M's mum, who's 70, called me to ask me if I needed any shopping.

I have been gently chastised by my lovely friends from work - especially when I suggested I would be in school for the review. They have made me feel less guilty, although they have had loads of extra work to do because of my absence. Thank you S and P. You are superstars.

Then there's K and S. I've had visits, calls, texts and offers of food. Tonight, S is taking LE and his LE to Pizza Hut for a treat. He's offered to collect my LE from Stagecoach and has been his usual, generous self.

In amongst this, my parents have called twice a day to tell me not to do anything stupid (like go to school - although that's their fault because they brought me up with the mantra - you'll feel better when you get to school...). Little bro and his girlfriend have called everyday too.

I am so lucky. Reading my last few miserable posts has made me ashamed of myself. I am surrounded by lovely people and I am counting my blessings today. And as I write, C, who does my cleaning, has just turned up (on a Saturday!) out of the blue because she knew the house would need some more tlc.

Thank you everyone. I will read this post first, before I moan again!

No comments: