Wednesday, 24 December 2008

So this is Christmas...

A mixed day today. LE's dad phoned to say that she had become a sister, to Frederick John. We made much of this - lots of celebration - but tears followed. I cannot believe that he won't allow LE to meet her little brother until Boxing Day, in fact I am really angry because he has not had to try to convince LE that of course her dad loves her and it's not that unusual for a sister to be kept away from her new sibling in this way. She has really struggled with her mixed emotions today. So have I. But we raised a glass to her new brother and I am genuinely pleased that Jen is a big sister - she'll be fantastic.

On a happier note, Mum and Dad finally arrived (two blessed days later than expected) and the Wards came to dinner. Dad tutored Karen and me in the art of creating lobster thermidor and it was definitely worth it - quite the most delicious meal I have made in a long time. We drank far too much (I even discovered a beautiful old port at the back of the wine cellar (a glamorous term for the wine rack LE's dad secreted in the back of the larder and left with me when he went off with a younger model...).

There is something very satisfying about drinking from this stash. I didn't touch it for the first four years after he left, don't ask me why, but I have started to raid it recently. Actually, the most satisfying moment was when I opened an amazing St Emillion and poured it into a casserole. Karen says I shouldn't do this, I should drink it, but I gained a great deal of pleasure in thinking how this culinary act would have galled him.

Back to the meal. Karen brought an amazing fruit brulee and between us we created an awesome cheeseboard. It's a long time since I ventured to do a proper dinner party, having lost all my confidence after LE's dad left, but tonight was good.

It's bin day tomorrow - there were a lot of bottles in the recycle bin!

No comments: